Aromatic herbs synergistically combine to produce a heavenly tasting, versatile herbal blend originating in Southern France. The flavor of an Herbs de Provence blend is equally delicate and robust. It is a highly aromatic blend of herbs in which the subtle floral, sweet, and herbaceous notes are all detectable.
This is my favorite herb blend, so I had a high standard for flavor. Quite honestly, I was a bit skeptical that I could even come close to mimicking my go-to brand for Herbs de Provence. However, after calculating the amount of money I was spending on small jars of my favorite brand’s Herbs de Provence blend, I set out to try to make my own. If it didn’t work out, at least I would feel better about spending over four dollars for a few ounces of an Herbs de Provence blend that would last me a short while.
Never did I imagine how easy and delicious it could be to make my own. The herb combination I created had a flavor, taste, and aroma profile that satisfied my palate beyond belief. A scientist at heart, I had to repeat the process several times to validate its reproducibility. Thankfully, each batch was consistent and so good that I have not purchased my old-time “favorite” Herbs de Provence blend again.
ESCAPE TO SOUTHERN FRANCE
Aside from saving money by making my own Herbs de Provence blend, I immediately feel my body shift into a state of calm when I prepare the blend. My body relaxes, and my shoulders, neck, and eyes release tension. And I often close my eyes to imagine the herbs growing, being transported to the gardens I visited while studying in the South of France. When you make this Herbs de Provence blend, I encourage you to visit the South of France in your mind by taking a similar moment of mindfulness.
FOOLPROOF RECIPE FOR HERBS DE PROVENCE
I recommend using organic or homegrown pesticide-free ingredients to reduce exposure to harmful chemicals.
Gather your herbs:
THE HEALTHY SCOOP ABOUT HERBS DE PROVENCE
- Herbs introduce healing properties to dishes. Replace the herb blend in one of your favorite recipes with Herbs de Provence to change the flavor profile. It works especially well in poultry, white fish, and vegetable dishes.
- Herbs contain powerful polyphenols that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.1
- Thyme may support improved digestion, and reduced flatulence and microbial growth.1-2
- Basil is part of the mint family and may support reduced flatulence, anxiety, and bacterial growth. Researchers are also examining its potential to stimulate the immune system.1-5
- Rosemary is also called damiana (dah-mee’ah-nah) and may support reduced anxiety, depression, and water retention.1-4
- Marjoram may support reduced water retention, bruising, headache, muscle pain, motion sickness, and insomnia.1
- Fennel seeds may support digestion and have a pleasing anise-like aroma.1,6
- Lavender may support relaxation, reduced anxiety, and improved sleep quality.1,4,7
- Tarragon may support improved digestion and research is evaluating its role in blood glucose regulation.4,8
- Herb blends make beautiful and practical gifts that can make you feel good about giving.
WANT TO REPLICATE YOUR FAVORITE HERB OR SPICE BLEND?
Key Lessons to remember include:
- There is no need to fear making your own herb blend; persistence is key to achieving the flavor profile you seek.
- Be sure to record the different proportions of herbs you use with each revision until you find the proper ratios.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. KalenaSpire only joins affiliate programs for products that Christine believes in and sincerely endorses for quality and efficacy.
What’s your favorite way to use Herbs de Provence blend in your cooking? Share in the comments below!