Most people think of cauliflower as a side to steak, not the “meat of the meal.” But cut into thick slabs and roasted with spices, this plain vegetable is easily transformed into a flavorful dish.
Roasting brings out the subtle nutty flavor of cauliflower. The brilliant colors and flavors of turmeric, ginger, cumin, and cilantro create cauliflower “steaks” that are simple to prepare and fancy enough for a dinner party or to add pizazz to an ordinary family dinner.
CAULIFLOWER STEAKS WITH CUMIN, GINGER & TURMERIC RECIPE
- 1 large head cauliflower
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Small handful of cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove leaves and trim the stem end of the cauliflower, leaving the core intact. Using a large knife, cut the cauliflower from top to base into three 3/4-inch-thick “steaks.”
- Season each steak with salt and pepper on both sides. (Reserve any loose florets for another use.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the cauliflower steaks until golden brown–about 2 minutes on each side.
- Gently transfer the steaks to a baking sheet.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ginger, cumin, and turmeric. Brush or spoon the mixture onto the cauliflower steaks.
- Roast in the oven until tender, about 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. KalenaSpire only joins affiliate programs for products that Christine believes in and sincerely endorses for quality and efficacy.
Have you ever tried cauliflower steaks? Share in the comments below!
Recipe Source http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-cauliflower-steaks-recipes-from-the-kitchn-195541