Arugula’s distinctive, almost peppery flavor, makes arugula easy to enjoy and you’ll easily boost the flavor and health power of a meal when you add in this Mediterranean leafy green.
A LOOK INSIDE AWESOME ARUGULA
Arugula is high in the following vitamins and minerals:
VITAMIN C, A, AND K
These antioxidants play a role in protecting cells from free radical damage (oxidation). Vitamins A and C also support a healthy immune system. Vitamin K is involved in the body’s blood clotting process and plays a role in bone health, which helps prevent osteoporosis.
FOLATE (B VITAMIN)
Supports the production of DNA and is very important in a healthy pregnancy and fetal development.
CALCIUM AND POTASSIUM
Minerals that have many functions in the body. Both are involved in producing strong muscle contraction. Calcium is important to bone and tooth health. Potassium, an electrolyte, is essential for healthy heart and nerve function and it helps maintain healthy sodium levels in the body.
Add arugula to a salad, rice and other gluten-free grains (if not grain-free), or use in your main meal in lieu of parsley or other herbs. With its lovely leaf shape, flavor and edible flowers, arugula can add pizzazz to many dishes.
ARUGULA, APPLE & PECAN SALAD
In this simple, seasonal and healthy salad, peppery arugula is combined with crisp apples, toasted pecans, red onion, and dried cranberry. A vibrant lemon vinaigrette complements this flavorful plant-based dish. It’s a perfect beginning to your lunch or dinner. To make it a main dish, consider adding crumbled goat cheese (if not dairy-free), white beans, chickpeas, or wild-caught grilled shrimp for your favorite protein. Serves 4.
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 7 ounces arugula (organic when possible)
- 2 small apples (1 tart, 1 sweet, peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 1/4 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 large lemon, juiced (1 lemon yields ~3 Tbsp or 45 ml)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 pinch each sea salt + black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and arrange pecans on a bare baking sheet.
- Bake pecans for 8-10 minutes or until fragrant and deep golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While pecans are toasting, prep remaining salad ingredients and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare dressing in a mixing bowl or mason jar by adding all ingredients and whisking or shaking vigorously to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed.
- Add pecans to salad and top with dressing. Toss to combine and serve immediately. Serves two as an entrée and four as a side.
- Store leftovers (dressing separate from salad) covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days (though best when fresh). Dressing should keep at room temperature for 2-3 days when well sealed.
IS THIS YOUR FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH AWESOME ARUGULA? SHARE IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!
Healthline.com “What You Should Know About Arugula.” Accessed 21 Nov 2018: https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/arugula
MedicalNewsToday.com, post by Ware, M., “Everything You Need to Know About Arugula.” posted 2 Nov 2017. Accessed 21 Nov 2018: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282769.php
Recipe Resource: https://minimalistbaker.com/apple-pecan-arugula-salad/